Week 1 TD

 Tyson D’Orio

Senior Project 

May 14, 2023


Week 1 of Senior project was very successful considering the amount of time I had put in. It didn’t take me long at all to get the car started up so I could test what was wrong. I was concerned about how productive I was going to be considering I didn’t have much packed on Monday. Things ended up taking a turn on Tuesday morning. 


I had a friend go over to the house and pack my tools into the Jeep and coordinate a tow truck to bring it up. The towing company came Tuesday morning and picked the car up. They hauled it through Mass and up to Wilmot. When it arrived I had already spent Monday morning disassembling an intake manifold and an exhaust manifold. This helped me out big time. On Tuesday afternoon when I got back from practice, I began assembling the sensors on the new throttle body. After that, I got my injectors mounted inside the fuel rails and sealed them to the intake manifold. I spend some time that day putting together a list of what I needed from Massachusetts. I also rounded up some nuts and bolts to bring to the hardware store. On Wednesday I swapped the valve cover gasket and tuned the throttle body. I also worked on sealing up the coolant lines and patching the power steering system. It was leaking fluid after the first drive. There are definitely things I can build on going into the next week.


This project has been successful so far but the complicated part hasn't even started. Fabricating a turbo kit from the stock system is going to be very difficult. Fitting a pipe big enough to flow the proper amount of boost is going to be very hard with the amount of room I have. We need to fit this pipe in a place where the air will flow into the turbo with no interception. This will cause a lag in the turbo. Turbo lag is when the scroll of the turbo wont spool because there isnt enough pressure at low rpms to get it moving. A lack of boost pressure on on the low end will result in too much turbo lag. There are ways to avoid this with the modern electronic turbo systems that I have for this project. In order for those systems to work, this turbo needs proper fabrication. 


 I did everything that I could do with the parts that I have but now I am waiting for my cats to come in. Those pipes will run off of the exhaust manifold and connect to the turbo inlet pipe. I need to find someone who can weld those pieces together. As I already explained, it is a very precise job so I haven't found someone who can do it yet. 


Comments

  1. I wonder if Gordon or Corby could help you with the welding? Also - would LOVE to see pictures, T. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day 6

Day 2 TD